JOIN US for Lent Small Group Study 2017
Practicing the Compassionate Life—weekly meetings, Tuesday-Friday
This season of Lent, St. Chrysostom’s invites you to “practice the compassionate life.” Every member of the St. Chrysostom’s community is encouraged to sign up for one of four small groups. Choose the weekday that will work best for you, Monday through Friday. All groups will meet once weekly, 6:30 to 8:00 PM, dinner provided.
As our inspiration, we’ll consider the examples of five spiritual practitioners from the Christian tradition.
- > William Temple (1881–1944), distinguished preacher, teacher, and Anglican social theologian
- > Hannah Whitall Smith (1832–1911), lay leader, Christian mystic, and suffragette
- > Jeremy Taylor (1613–1667), scholar, chaplain to King Charles I, Royalist prisoner, Anglican ethicist
- > Elizabeth O’Connor (1928-1998) writer, teacher, counselor in early missional church movement
- > Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906–1945) theologian, teacher, Nazi resistance leader, concentration camp prisoner, executed by Nazi regime
Five weeks of holy conversation
Weeks 1–5, we will gather in small groups over dinner at church or in parishioners’ homes. Participants are asked to come prepared to share their thoughts on that week’s brief reading. Questions will be provided with each reading to prompt reflection, journaling, and conversation.
Week 6, our groups will come together for our traditional Maundy Thursday Dinner at St. Chrysostom’s—April 13 at 5:30 PM. At 6:30 PM, we’ll move to the Church for Eucharist, Foot Washing and Stripping of the Altar.