We believe that when music is performed to the highest standards of excellence it glorifies God, transcending the earthly and expressing what words alone cannot. That is why it has always been an integral part of our worship and parish life. It is a means of leading one’s self and others closer to God. It is also a marvelous means of outreach to the community. The musical life of the parish is made possible by the generous support of its members and friends. We are blessed by both talent and resources. Here, you will find more information on our musical history, as well as more about our choirs; our current Director, Richard Hoskins and the other musicians; and our church organs, concerts and wedding music.
Originally, there was a vested choir of men and boys directed by several of the finest musicians in the country and accompanied successively by three important organs. In 1917, the men and boys choir was replaced by a professional mixed choir.
Under Richard Hoskins’ tenure, not only did this choir and its repertoire become nationally renowned and premiere commissioned works, but new choirs and special musical services have been added. These include the St. Chrysostom’s Singers, the Children’s Choir, and an annual Choral Sunday combining performances of all the Choirs. Richard also composed a special Service of Tenebrae, and added Lessons & Carols for Advent and Epiphany. In 1985, we added the Concert Series to the yearly life of the parish, which presents European and American artists and features the musical talents of our parishioners.
In 1997, Roger Stanley was appointed Associate Organist. His special skills in choral accompanying were recognized at an early age and he has performed organ reductions of major choral/orchestra scores with church choirs, collegiate choirs, and professional choral ensembles.
The Crane Memorial Carillon
The 43-bell Gillette & Johnston carillon, made in Croydon, England in 1928 was the first carillon installed west of the Alleghenies. LEARN its history.