Close

The Crane Memorial Carillon

THE CRANE MEMORIAL CARILLON

Installed in 1927, the Richard Teller Crane Memorial Carillon is one of the oldest in the country and the second oldest in the Midwest. The 43 bells were cast and installed by the bell foundry Gillett and Johnston of England. Gillett and Johnston bells are known for their well-tuned, full tone, and these bells are no exception.

Richard T. Crane, Jr. gave the carillon to St. Chrysostom’s in memory of his father, a Chicago industrial magnate whose eponymous company manufactured metal goods for plumbing and central heating systems. The global company still thrives today as a manufacturer of diverse industrial products.

A carillon consists of tuned bells connected to an oversized keyboard from which the player rings the bells with fists and feet. Each baton at the keyboard is connected to a single clapper, which strikes the bell on the inside. With both fists and feet in action, performers can play a large range of repertoire from hymns to classical arrangements to Christmas carols. This basic instrument mechanism dates from the early 16th century in Belgium and the Netherlands.

The Crane Memorial Carillon is played by Richard Hoskins, Kimberly Schafer, and Jim Fackenthal before and after the Sunday 11 a.m. service, at weddings, at funerals, and in recital.

login